Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Birds (Allpahuayo Mishana)

The majority of these photos are of birds in hand that I banded. Sadly, I had virtually no free time to try and photograph individuals behaving naturally but I thought I would still share some of my favorite species we caught and worked with.

Scale Backed Antbird (Willisornis poecilonotus)- Male (Little Sarah)


White-crowned Manakin (Dixiphia pipra)- Male 







This was the first White-Plumed we caught. His little mohawks are uneven!

White-plumed Antbird (Pithys albifrons)

Golden-headed Manakin (Pipra erythrocephala)- Male

 
Bicolored Antbird (Gymnopithys leucaspis)
Allpahuayo Antbird (Percnostola arenarum)- Female- ENDEMIC




Thrush-like Schiffornis (Schiffornis turdina)

Pearly Anshrike (Megastictus margaritatus)


Just wanted to add here that it's a lot harder to take good pictures of birds you're actually holding than you'd think it would be. The light was crap for the first week or so, the birds didn't like looking at the camera, you can't hold them for too long, and it's tough to get some of their neat wing patterns in the shot while avoiding your fingers/hand. This was one big learning process and these photos are by no means amazing. They actually kind of suck. 
But I think I figured out a setting that works and some tricks to holding them so next round should be better.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there -

    I'm writing to ask your permission to use one of your photos (female Allpahuayo Antbird).

    Drop me a line at gradko@abcbirds.org -

    thanks very much!

    Gemma Radko
    American Bird Conservancy
    Washington, D.C.

    ReplyDelete